There are supplements which I have found useful. Remember to use the iherb discount code PML793 to get 5% off. You can also pay in USD and use the SIngLife debit card if you want to save more.
It is best to start with a low dosage and to try different supplements one by one for at least one week to assess their effects. Do note that some supplements can cause health problems, especially when consumed in large doses. Do check dosage recommendations for autistic children and if the medication you are taking affects your nutritional levels.
1) Now Foods, Magnesium Citrate, 200 mg, 250 Tablets (or Nature’s Life, Magnesium Malate, 1,300 mg, 250 Tablets to avoid diarrhea)
This helps with bones, muscle cramps, menstruation pain and (especially) chronic fatigue. Take 2 per day at different times together with calcium.
2) Now Foods, TMG, 1,000 mg, 100 Tablets (or Now Foods, DMG, 125 mg, 100 Veg Capsules for those who become hyperactive taking TMG)
TMG/DMG can correct metabolic impairment involving methylation, which has life-changing effects such as eliminating chronic fatigue and inattention for autistics. Take this with bioactive B complex as vitamin B deficiencies or metabolism can make the situation worse.
3A) Life Extension, Two-Per-Day, 120 Capsules [Avoid DHL/UPS if importing into Singapore]
This is the best multivitamin that I know of; it contains bioactive Vitamin B complex. Take only one capsule per day instead of the two indicated as the label dosage is excessive. Unfortunately, the capsule version is often out of stock, but the tablet version has a nasty taste.
3B) Nature’s Life, Iron Complex, 25 mg, 50 Veggie Caps [Complements Two-Per-Day]
This not only contains Iron and Copper which is missing from Two-Per-Day, but also tops up on the Folate and Manganese. Insufficient iron can cause hair loss. Be careful not to overdose on iron – do not take daily.
4) Life Enhancement, Potassium Basics, 240 Capsules (must take with food)
This helps reduce high blood pressure, cramps, menses pain, stomach acidity and chronic fatigue.
5) Now Foods, Magtein, Magnesium L-Threonate, 90 Veg Capsules [Also an antidote for excess MSG]
This improves memory and reduces chronic fatigue. This version of magnesium passes directly through the blood brain barrier to reach the brain. It has a strong effect when used in conjunction with Alpha GPC and Vitamin B complex. Take 3 a day, one with each meal.
6) Now Foods, Molecularly Distilled, Super Omega EPA , 240 Softgels [High quality fish oil]
or Source Naturals, Vegan True, Non-Fish Omega-3s, 300 mg, 60 Vegan Softgels
This was personally useful to help me focus and reduce chronic fatigue. The dosage has to be sufficient to have effect (≥500mg DHA). It is not advisable to take this on an empty stomach as it may lead to loose oily stools.
7) Now Foods, Alpha GPC, 300 mg, 60 Vcaps
This helps improve memory and alertness. Take once in the morning to avoid insomia. If you find yourself too alert to sleep, take 1x Now Foods DMAE 250 mg right before sleep.
8) Now Foods, L-Citrulline, 1200mg, 120 Tablets (combined with Jarrow Formulas, Arginine, 1000 mg, 100 Tablets and California Gold Nutrition, Reduced L-Glutathione, 500 mg, 120 VCaps)
This can help induce sleep and reduce sleep apnea if taken before sleep. A friend on bipolar medication found that taking 1.2g of L-Citrulline before sleep solved her insomnia problem where melatonin failed.
It works on mild erectile dysfunction and can help those who do not respond to Viagra (Sildenafil). The dosage must be sufficient to work, usually 1.5g L-Arginine, 1.5g L-Citrulline and 500mg L-Glutathione before sleep.
Take Source Naturals, L-Lysine, 1,000 mg, 100 Tablets too to avoid falling sick.
9) NOW Foods, NADH, 10 mg, 60 Veg Capsules [Also contains D-Ribose]
Helps resolve chronic fatigue; take only in morning to avoid insomnia.
10) NOW Foods, Extra Strength PQQ, 40 mg, 50 Veg Capsules
Helps resolve chronic fatigue; take only in morning to avoid insomnia.
11) Doctor’s Best, Best MSM 1500 [optional: add 2x Glucosamine suitable for high blood pressure Jarrow Formulas, N-A-G, 700 mg, 120 Veggie Caps]
This contains sulfur which helps with collagen formation for joints, skin, fingernails and hair. Take 1-3 daily with a meal, ideally separately. However do not take this if you are are deficient in potassium and/or have a heart problem. You can use the 1000mg version if you have trouble swallowing.
12) Now Foods, NAC, 600 mg, 250 Vcaps [Avoid DHL/UPS if importing into Singapore.]
Take one of these per day, with Vitamin C. It contains trace elements that can help diabetics. It helps the liver to detox as well as clearing mucus from coughs and colds.
13) Life Extension, Melatonin IR/XR, 60 Capsules
Melatonin assists with insomnia (especially jet lag). Take one before sleep. Consider the 3mg version if this does not work. I started with the 300mcg version and increased it later after my body got used to it.
14) Enzymedica, Digest Gold with ATPro, Premium Enzyme Formula, 240 Capsules
The strongest digestive enzymes which solved my digestion problems. Ignore the instructions; one per day is more than enough. Order a small bottle to try out as some people are allergic to this.
15) Garden of Life, Primal Defense, HSO Probiotic Formula, 216 Caplets [like very strong Yakult]
This is a very high-dose probiotic. Unlike many other probiotics, it is does not require refrigeration. I take it every alternate day as a preventive measure.
16) Sports Research, Astaxanthin, Triple Strength, 12 mg, 60 Veggie Softgels and Lutein + Zeaxanthin with Coconut Oil, 120 Veggie Softgels
My eyes felt much less easily fatigued with 60mg of Lutein and 12 mg of Astaxanthin daily. Do take note that overdosing on Lutein may cause a yellow-orange skin discoloration, while overdosing on Astaxanthin can cause red stools.
17) Now Foods, C-500, Calcium Ascorbate-C, 250 Capsules
This form of vitamin C is many times more effective that the typical ascorbic acid version. Improves general health and skin collagen production. Take 1 per day when healthy as a preventative measure, 1 per meal when not well.
18) Now Foods, Zinc Picolinate, 50 mg, 120 Capsules
This works very well together with Vitamin C. Take 1 capsule 3 times a week when healthy, 1 per day when unwell.
19) Life Extension, Calcium Citrate, with Vitamin D, 200 Capsules
This type of calcium can be absorbed despite poor digestion unlike the typical carbonate version. Calcium provides the basic foundation to build strong bones. Take 4 per day with a meal, ideally separately at different times. This made it easier for me to sit up straight without back support for longer periods of time without feeling tired or painful.
20) Life Extension, Lithium, 1,000 mcg, 100 Vegetarian Capsules
Although the dosage is minimal, taking this twice a day helps to stabilise my mind and sleep more soundly. Taking too much lithium can cause acne.
21) California Gold Nutrition, Whey Protein Isolate (or Now Foods, Soy Protein Isolate for vegans and acne-prone people)
Take up to 20-70 grams daily depending on body size, ideally in separate doses on an empty stomach. Protein Isolates are almost pure protein powder. It helps build muscles for very thin people and the elderly. It helps obese people lose weight by helping them feel full. Add on Now Foods, HMB Double Strength, 1,000 mg, 90 Tablets for more muscle building effect.
22) Sports Research, Collagen Peptides, Unflavored, 16 oz (454 g)
This is an additional supplement for those taking Glucosamine, Chondroitin and/or MSM. It also helps to reduce wrinkles too. I don’t take this but my mother does.
23) Doctor’s Best, SAM-e, Double-Strength, 400 mg, 60 Enteric Coated Tablets
This is a natural alternative to antidepressants that worked on a number of friends when 5-HTP did not work.
24) Now Foods, Pycnogenol, 100 mg, 60 Veg Capsules
Pycnogenol is helpful for many issues such as Allergies, Arthritis, Diabetes, Erectile dysfunction, High cholesterol, Memory problems and Menopause symptoms.
25) Life Extension, Esophageal Guardian, Natural Berry Flavor, 60 Chewable Tablets
Provides protective cover to stop acid reflux and heartburn. Stronger than Gavison Double Action and without their artificial ingredients.
26) Doctor’s Best, High Absorption CoQ10 with BioPerine, 200 mg, 180 Veggie Caps
This was useful for my friend who has heart problems; she takes it daily. It has no effect on me though.
Disclaimer: This website does not provide medical advice; the above information is for educational purposes only. Do note that what works for one person may not work for another due to differences in body physiology. Please do your own research and consult with your doctor before using these supplements.
Autism Treatment Network Research on Nutrition
Lists of Supplements for Autism: Credihealth and Taca
Nutrient-Nutrient Interaction in Multivitamin Supplements
A Guide to Timing Supplement Intake
Do you know what’s inside supplement capsules?
What’s in Your Multivitamin? Here Are 10 Ingredients To Look Out For