Peer Coaching aims to support clients to internalise the positive concepts and qualities from the self-help materials that they study. As an autistic peer, a deeper level of trust and understanding allows the coach to provide emotional support while exerting a positive influence.
Clients will receive a series of assignments where they may complete alone or as part of a small team with other autistic peers. The peer coach will translate the concepts and terms used by non-autistic people into autistic-friendly understanding that can be applied to practical life.
These assignments will be set based on self-improvement books chosen by the client or the sponsor. Eric is comfortable working with both religious and liberal study materials.
Examples of social skills books that are usually helpful for autistics:
- The Asperkid’s Secret Book of Social Rules – The Handbook of Not-So-Obvious Social Guidelines for Tweens and Teens with Asperger Syndrome
- Social Skills for Teenagers and Adults with Asperger Syndrome – A Practical Guide to Day-to-day Life
- Unwritten Rules of Social Relationships – Decoding Social Mysteries Through the Unique Perspectives of Autism
Examples of self-help books that are usually helpful for autistics:
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey
- Getting Things Done by David Allen
- Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki
- How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
- The 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman
- Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
- From Third World to First: The Singapore Story by Lee Kuan Yew
- Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking by Susan Cain
- The Art of War by Sun Tzu
Autistics who qualify for peer coaching must be willing to receive coaching. Many autistics may be resistant unless sufficient rapport has already been established (such as via prior Level 1 Buddy Mentoring). While both mentoring and coaching can occur concurrently, mentoring can be gradually reduced over time. Once the client is ready to take action to transform their lives, they can proceed to Level 3 Adulting Training.
On-site level 2 coaching (i.e. where Eric must travel) costs SGD$120 per hour for a minimum of 2 hours.
Remote level 2 coaching (i.e. where Eric can work from home) costs SGD$80 per hour.